Group leader workshop in Kent gets everyone rolling
24 March 2014
The free workshop was facilitated by Sarah Russell, Coach at Tunbridge Wells Harriers, Founder of ‘Sarah’s Runners’ running group in Kent, freelance health & fitness writer and biomechanics & corrective exercise specialist.
It covered a number of topics such as: understanding biomechanics & running technique using observational skills and core assessments; delivering speed work sessions safely & effectively; and the use of foam rollers in assisting stretches & deep tissue massage for muscle recovery.
Lucy Tomlinson, Running Activator for Run Kent, said: “We’re very grateful to Sarah for sharing her knowledge and expertise on the day. The topics proved extremely interesting and the feedback from the Run Leaders has been very positive.
“The combination of presentation style discussions and outdoor activities always go down well with the attendees but I think the foam rolling session was the surprise hit of the day, despite the groans and pain inflicted on some of the attendees!”
This is the eighth workshop that the Run Kent Project has hosted for group leaders in the last two years!
Lucy said: “These workshops are just one of the ways we support Run Leaders in Kent. It’s our way of helping them to develop their skills and knowledge as Run Leaders and coaches so that they continue to do such an amazing job of encouraging more people to get into running.“
But you don’t have to take Lucy’s word for it! Here are some comments from the Run Leaders who attended the recent workshop:
- “Fantastic workshop. Enjoyed every minute and will take away a lot of new knowledge. Can’t wait until the next workshop!” Emma Pomeroy, Sittingbourne Striders.
- “I really appreciate these workshops and getting together with other leaders. It makes us feel like we are all a big team!" Kenza Bowman, The Blister Sisters.
- “All in all an excellent workshop. Would definitely come again!” Dawn Annett, So Let’s Go Running.
- “Awesome workshop. More of the same please. Thank you!” Barney Atkinson, Arriba Joggers.
- “I found the workshop very helpful, well executed & highly beneficial. Thank you!” Joanne Kingston, Mojo Running & Fitness.
- “Excellent workshop – very informative & interesting” Shona Campbell, Shona’s Runners.
- “Brilliant workshop. Lots to think about and use!” Jane Dew, RunFit.
- “Very interesting and useful workshop. Sarah is an excellent presenter”. Emma Goodman, Just Joggers.
- “Excellent workshop – thanks for the on-going help and support.” Sylvia Barrett, Dover RoadRunners.
If you’d like to get involved in the Run Kent Project or join your local running group in Kent led by a qualified group leader, please contact Lucy Tomlinson at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.kentsport.org/run. Follow us @GetKentRunning.
If you live elsewhere and would like to become a group leader or would like to find out more about setting up a running group, please visit www.runengland.org/leader. To find your nearest running group, visit www.runengland.org/groups.
More news from RunTogether
2014 England Athletics Northern Coaching Conference
18 September 2014Read more
5k distance completed in style by Chippenham's Autumn beg...
20 November 2015Read more
LiRF to CiRF Workshop supports leaders to make the transi...
03 December 2015Read more
Run Leaders invited to inaugural Berkshire Run Leaders Wo...
20 August 2015Read more