RunTogether supporting mental health
RunTogether by the very nature of our values and what we are all about – supportive, being together, safe, inclusive – has for quite some time supported people’s mental health.
- We have developed a number of initiatives to support people as a social and participation based group running programme.
- We work with specialists in the field of mental of health such as Mind and Believe Perform.
- We provide resources that are free to access anytime and without obligation.
#RunAndTalk Week 2021
#RunAndTalk Week is back for 2021 – in partnership with Mind, the mental health charity. We’re now calling on RunTogether groups (as well as England Athletics affiliated clubs and organisations) to pledge to host a run for this year’s campaign!
#RunAndTalk Week will once again place a focus on improving mental wellbeing through running – encouraging people to help break the stigma around the subject by meeting for a run and discussing mental health.
This year’s #RunAndTalk Week will take place from Monday 20 to Sunday 26 September – to coincide with World Gratitude Day on Tuesday 21 September.
Let's Talk About Mental Health
At RunTogether mental health is a year-round subject. The mental health charity Mind has reported that more than half of adults, and over two thirds of young people, say that their mental health has got worse during the pandemic. That’s why via England Athletics we are hosting a series of online Let’s Talk About Mental Health events throughout 2021 and 2022 – to get the sport talking!
Through six speaker and panel sessions, we’ll be sharing stories of personal mental health experiences, discussing what we can do to support mental health through athletics and running, and sharing how you can access support through our #RunAndTalk programme.
So why not come and join the conversation? Take a look at our upcoming sessions and sign-up for free.
Our Wellbeing Countdown Calendar
At a time when for many of us our mental health is a daily challenge, RunTogether is sharing a Wellbeing Countdown Calendar.
The calendar has 31 days but you can start this countdown on any day. So join us in this 31-day challenge, which is all about looking after your wellbeing and finding things to smile about!
Our own mental health programmes
#RunAndTalk and Mental Health Champions
Our #RunAndTalk programme aims to improve mental health through running in England. Supported by Mind, the mental health charity, we want to:
- get people talking about mental health, sharing their experiences and removing stigma
- provide support and guidance to raise awareness of mental health problems
- support people experiencing mental health problems to be physically active through running, whether that is to support them in starting, returning to or continuing to run.
As part of the #RunAndTalk programme we aim to establish a network of volunteer Mental Health Champions and Ambassadors to:
- promote mental wellbeing through running by supporting the aims of #RunAndTalk.
- work with their club/group to support its members to improve their mental health through running.
- support new people who are experiencing mental health problems to start running, get back into running, or continue running.
Helping 16 to 25 year olds to #RunAndRevise
The #RunAndRevise campaign, from England Athletics and supported by Mind the mental health charity, encourages students aged 16-18 at school, or aged 18-25 at college or university, to take a break from revision, relieve exam stress and improve their mental wellbeing through running.
Mental health resources
Coronavirus and your wellbeing
You and your runners might be worried about coronavirus and how it could affect your life. This may include not being able to run with a group, being asked to stay at home or avoid other people. This might feel difficult or stressful. But there are lots of things you and your runners can try that could help your wellbeing.
Links to useful resources
Athletics and Mental Health resource (PDF 1.4MB)
Advice and support for inclusive coaching for people with mental health problems - 3 videos from Mind
Promoting Good Mental Health through Coaching - infographics (PDF 1.4MB)