The best running shoes for underpronation 2023
Getting the right shoe for your gait is one of the most important things to get right as runner, whether you’re a neutral runner, an overpronator or (less commonly) an underpronator.
In truth, only a very small percentage of people suffer from underpronation - research suggests around 10-15%, with most runners overpronating – read about our top picks for overpronation.
So, what type of shoe is best for a runner who underpronates?
First off, it’s important to understand how underpronation (or supination) differs from normal, biomechanically efficient pronation. Underpronators tend to have high rigid arches, meaning that the arch fails to flatten and the gait lacks inwards roll, placing additional stress on the outer edge of the foot.
For that reason, runners who underpronate are best to opt for neutral, high cushioned models that both allow the foot to pronate more easily and help compensate for the foot’s lack of natural shock absorption.
With help from SportsShoes.com here are some of our best recommendations for overpronators
*Please note: the following shoes are not listed in rank order*
ASICS GEL NIMBUS 25
- The new ASICS Gel-Nimbus 25 is specifically designed to provide maximum comfort and cushioning to help you feel like you're landing on clouds.
- This upper material is made from a premium soft engineered knit which offers integrated support, increased breathability and an improved fit for extra comfort.
- This highly cushioned road running shoe is suitable for everyday training and features several upgrades, including a completely new wave plate for unrivalled support and to decrease the overpronation of the foot.
Price: RRP £174.99
BROOKS GLYCERIN 20
- The Brooks Glycerin 20 has a redesigned midsole and outsole giving a widened platform for increased stability and smoother transitions.
- Brooks' super-soft cushioning offers supreme comfort and distraction-free miles.
- Soft DNA LOFT v3 cushioning, an updated, improved fit and silky smooth transitions and mesh upper for comfortable fit and exceptional breathability.
- With Brooks’ push and breathable engineered air mesh upper offering a secure fit and a comfortable holding to keep your foot in place.
Price: RRP £155.00
NEW BALANCE 1080V12
- Strive to be the best in the new and updated New Balance 1080v12 which provides luxurious comfort for the long run.
- Featuring responsive underfoot Fresh Foam paired with a soft, selectively stretchy knit upper, which offers 360-degree comfort.
- Designed to deliver precise cushioning under foot exactly where you need it.
- Lighter than its predecessor with a breathable soft knit upper engineered to provide strategic areas of stretch & support.
- Also available in an extra-wide B fit.
Price: RRP £101.49
SAUCONY TRIUMPH 20
- Everything about the Saucony Triumph 20 feels just right and every detail supports maximum comfort and softness that lasts.
- With an ultra-plush bed of PWRRUN+ cushioning and a cloud-like lightness, it's designed to provide lightweight and breathable support.
- These shoes are made for the runner who is looking for daily comfort. You’ll find that they are perfect for everyday jogs to those long-distance runs where you need that extra support.
- A great choice if you’re looking for a max-cushioned walking shoe as well.
Price: RRP £154.99
MIZUNO WAVE SKY 6
- You'll feel like you're floating in the soft and smooth Mizuno Wave Sky 6, a neutral all-round running shoe.
- Featuring Mizuno Enerzy Core and Mizuno Enerzy Foam, it provides an even softer landing and amazing energy return.
- This is combined with Mizuno Wave technology to enhance stability.
- By using a lot of cushioning and two Wave Plates, you experience ultimate comfort during your run.
- The renewed sole makes the shoe very suitable for runners who are looking for a floating feeling.
Price: RRP £159.99
NIKE ZOOMX INVINCIBLE RUN FLYKNIT 3
- The Invincible line is all about cushioning and not just any cushioning, a helping of ZoomX cushioning gives you a plush feeling underfoot for comfort through every mile.
- It's super springy and bouncy, so that you can propel down your preferred path and come back for your next run feeling ready and reinvigorated.
- The Invincible 3 has high-support technology, with cushion and stability intentionally placed and shaped to protect your foot from the effects of pronation.
- Stretchy and lightweight, the Flyknit panels create a comfy feel for sensational support.
- Designed to help keep you on the run, Nike's cushioned road running shoe gives you extraordinary comfort, supreme softness, and lightweight support.
Price: RRP £164.95