View to Welsh Hills, Lyme
Lyme , Disley, Cheshire, SK12 2NRDIRECTIONS TO THE START POINT
Running distance: 2.1 m
About this run route
Start / Finish
Note: Free parking is for National Trust members only.
This route takes visitors from the car park and Timber Yard coffee shop area across Drinkwater Meadow, before picking up a stony path to Paddock Cottage to admire the views. The route then descends steeply through some woodland and circles a large mound before descending through a little woodland copse to the start.
There a route has some steep inclines and descents and the paths are very uneven in places. There are three gates and a stile along the way.
This route is not suitable for push chairs or wheelchair users.
- START from the Run at Lyme Park information board, turn left along the footpath by the mill pond and cross the bridge.
- Turn left following the footpath around the back of the mill pond.
- At the end of the path turn right on to the tarmac road.
- Just before the cattle grid take the left hand fork to the large wooden gate.
- Go through the gate and follow the track for about 20 metres before taking the large grassy path on the right.
- Follow the path for about 300 metres until you cross a small bridge over a stream. Turn left at the stream, keeping the stream on your left and follow to the corner of the field.
- Cross the stone step stile and turn sharp right following the path that is next to the wall (CAUTION – there is a steep drop to the left of this path).
- At the end of the path go through the wooden gate and follow the track up the hill to Paddock Cottage (from here on a clear day you can see across to the Cheshire plain to Jodrell Bank, Alderley Edge and in the very distance, the Welsh Hills.
- Turn right and follow the wide, flat track running between the trees. After a few hundred metres follow the track to the left where it descends steeply and leads to some uneven steps that go down to a gate to a small car park.
- Go across the car park and then take the grassy path keeping the Knott (the large mound) on your right. Follow the track until you reach a gravel path.
- At the gravel path turn right and follow this until it joins the beginning of a tarmac road. Cross the road and follow the grass path diagonally to a stile between the dry stone wall on your left and a mound (Turtle Brew) on your right. Follow the left fork of the path down to the Timber Yard and back to the FINISH.
The layout and usage of the marked 3-2-1 running routes is the responsibility of the local authority or further education establishment that purchases the route marking signs and usual health and safety and duty of care considerations should be followed in laying out open, even-surfaced, easy-to-follow, safe, accurate, well lit routes at all times - with the landowner’s permission. RunTogether will not provide materials with which to attach the markers.