Love running? Want to spread the love?
05 February 2013
Now would be a great time for you to set up a Run England group.
Many people will have taken up running or exercise as part of their New Year's resolution or are now getting to grips with the fact they plan to run the Virgin London Marathon on 21 April. Coming off Christmas enthusiasm often runs high but now is the time many people want or need some support with their running. Could you be the person to help them?
Run England is the official England Athletics recreational running programme and we have more than 1500 running groups across England which are all led by qualified leaders who run groups in their communities.
Whether you want to lead a group that is based in your community or workplace, it is possible to create a Run England group. You could organise it from a leisure centre, via an existing community organisation, or with a running or athletics club. Alternatively many of our leaders would welcome someone else to support them in the running of their group or groups.
All Run England groups must be led by qualified leaders with a valid coaching licence. Most of our leaders have taken the Leadership in Running Fitness qualification which focusses specifically on how to lead a group of beginners or recreational runners. Others have another UKA recognised coaching qualification that equips them for leading a group. All must have an up to date CRB check for their licence to be valid.
Remember: It is enthusiasm and a desire to support others that counts - not your own running ability! In fact many beginners prefer to take their first steps with people they know can relate to them.
If you already run a Run England registered group why not head to Facebook and tell people about it at www.facebook.com/runengland.
How to create a group
- Have an enthusiasm for running and a desire to help beginners to get involved in the sport you love
- Get a valid and current UKA recognised licence to lead a group. This is usually done by taking the Leadership in Running Fitness qualification and then completing the CRB check to receive a licence
- Register your group by supplying the details online. Click here to register your group (please do not do this until you have received your licence)
- After we have checked your licence is valid and current we will then register your group and its details on our group finder map.
- You can then enjoy the benefits of being a registered group and leader!
Who creates groups?
Many people create Run England running groups for a variety of reasons:
- Individuals with a love of running that they want to share their enjoyment with others
- Community based organisations who see the benefits in getting people fit, active and enjoying themselves through running
- Employers who wish to make provision for their employees
- Running and athletics clubs who want to make specific 'beginner friendly' provision for people in their area
- Anyone else who sees the benefits and enjoyment that running brings!
There are no fees payable to Run England for being a registered group, either by yourself or your group members.
Your group's pricing structure and where that money goes is entirely at your discretion (well, as long as it is nothing illegal or that will see your friendly neighbourhood tax man chasing after you?!).
More news from RunTogether
England Athletics regional awards honour Run England volu...
28 October 2013Read more
New 3-2-1 routes making the most of country parks in Kent
03 July 2013Read more
Who do you want to win in 2012? And you could win £100 of...
03 August 2012Read more
From non runner to half marathon runner!
25 October 2011Read more