World Mental Health Day: #runandtalk
05 October 2015
World Mental Health Day takes place on Saturday 10th October 2015. Promoted by the Mental Health Foundation the 2015 World Mental Health Day focusses on dignity. England Athletics, Run England and the Mental Health Foundation want to support World Mental Health Day by encouraging everyone to ‘run and talk’.
One in four of us will have a mental health problem at some point in our life and most of us go through times when we feel down.
Taking part in regular physical activity and exercise though can:
- Boost self-esteem, raise self-worth and improve confidence
- Promote good sleep patterns
- Provide a meaningful activity
- Offer a chance to meet people
- Be something that you really enjoy
(Mental Health Foundation)
However, taking part in any type of exercise can be tough, especially when you’re feeling a bit low or lacking motivation. England Athletics recognises the contribution that athletics and running can play in supporting good mental wellbeing.
So to support World Mental Health Day we are encouraging everyone to ‘run and talk’. So grab a friend and get out for a run, have a natter and de-stress! Tell us about it and encourage others to get out running and talking using #runandtalk.
Clubs, leaders and coaches can get further information and guidance on mental health from the England Athletics ‘Athletics and Mental Health Resource’
- Click here for more information on World Mental Health day
- Click here for more information on Mind’s Get Set to Go programme
- Click here for more information on England Athletics’ commitment to the mental health charter
More news from RunTogether
Get into the Halloween spirit this weekend!
24 October 2011Read more
Your country is calling. Will you answer?
26 October 2011Read more
Tanni Grey-Thompson and Michael Rimmer cheer on 15,000th ...
28 April 2014Read more
Fareham Crusaders produce video to support #runandtalk
05 October 2016Read more